Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cash Budgeting: 2 weeks in

We've completed our first cash-budgeted pay period and have learnt quite a bit!

Pros:
- Instant feedback. This is much better than card-based budgeting because personally, I find my bank's statements to always be back a few days, some vendors seem to get registered late, weekend purchases get processed seemingly on the monday, etc.
- More meaningful. Watching the mone leave your wallet and be replaced with coins and fives gives a much more realistic view on how much you have spent compared to signing your name at the bottom of a sheet.

Cons:
- A single budget isn't very realistic or fun. Saying things like "we could go for a beer but then we'd be out of budget for food" is depressing. I think I'm going to modify my plan by having a $200 monthly budget for fun that gets banked seperately than the day-to-day. It's my intent to also use that $200 for saving up for trips.
- A little dangerous.. I don't suggest you walk around all the time with all your money in your pockets. For a forgetful person such as myself it's a little sketchy!

No comments: