Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How to quit your cell contract without paying your ETF (Early Termination Fee)

I've had a Rogers cellphone for the last year and a half. We're switching to minimal Pay as you Go cells and got a landline through our ISP Teksavvy (who I cannot say enough nice things about. They are amazing!)

So I had to cancel my cell. While I am halfway through my 3 year contract, Rogers still wanted $360 for me to cancel. I almost paid it then reconsidered, and put an ad up on usedottawa.com and craigslist. From the perspective of a person looking for a cell contract, by taking over my contract they get the phone for free and that's a year and a half less they are in their contract for. Saved me a ton of money! So it's a win-win for everyone involved.. except Rogers who doesn't get my $360 and an extra year and a half locked in on someone else.

As far as I know this is the only way I know to get rid of your phone without paying the early termination fee.

No comments: