Saturday, July 12, 2008

Trim your bills - good and bad

From staring at my monthly bills on wesabe for awhile I decided to try to trim my bills a bit. Here's my 2 experiences (so far) this week:

The Bad
$60/month for cellphone? Insanity! I call my cell provider (rogers) and remove this crazy... "cell essentials pack" costing me $11/month and replace it with a text message plan that is cheaper ($5/month) to save a crazy amount of money (like.. 4$/month since the $11/month had a 30% discount on it).. and lose my voice mail and caller id. woops. My plan is to get a couples plan with my girlfriend and hopefully that will actually reduce our payments.

Total savings yearly: About $50. Hopefully more with couples plan.

The Good
$50.51/month for internet with Bell. That is insane. We get ~30kbs up/down at most times. Plus Bell is actively and admittedly using DPI to filter out pretty much everything. Plus their customer service sucks (no I don't want to talk to Emily thank you very much). Looks like we can get for under $40/month from teksavvy or ncf the same service we get now, except with teksavvy we will be paying a company that actively is against the filtering of it's users.

Total savings yearly: $140, depending on final bill total from teksavvy.


No comments: