Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wesabe after a month

I've been using wesabe for about a month. I could not get the "auto-importer" to work with my bank (td canada trust) so I have to manually add my account activity logs every few days. But it's worth it. I can get monthly spending/earning, then look at tags and groups of tags for reports to see that I spent more on gas, or less on this or that.. very quickly once your transactions are tagged you can see patterns emerge that you didn't accumulate before. It has some simple "goal" settings (basically a goal for certain tags IE spend no more than $x/month on transactions tagged as FOOD).

The bads: It's a bit slow. Sometimes it's hard to tell what your report is really showing (ie it sometimes duplicates items with 2 tags.. so your $200 gas that is also $200 tagged as "bill" will come up as $400 spent. YMMV). Some other small bugs such as events for "today" will not show up. Ever. So you might see it on your account activity but when you upload it it won't be there until the transaction occurred in the past.

The goods: Everything else. They are actively working on fixing bugs (one of the biggest community groups on wesabe is "help make wesabe better").

It has made us much more aware of how we spend our money and it is very interesting to make custom reports to see what is going on.

No comments: